This post was sponsored in part by BODYARMOR. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
As a Mom the expectations are high. You’re supposed to ‘bring it’ every day and help your kids succeed. The same is true when you have young athletes. Moms are the shuttle driver, cheerleader, organizer, and mobile chef. I’m excited to partner with BODYARMOR sports drink to not only share their great product with you but to provided busy sports parents with a guide to help make packing food and hydration for their young athletes easier.
Whether it’s your turn to bring snacks for the team or you continually work to fuel your athletes, it does not need to be a daunting task.
Busy active kids and athletes need healthy snacks and adequate hydration for several reasons:
- Snacks (primarily carbohydrates) provide calories to help working muscles.
- Fluids keep the body cool, provide electrolytes and work to prevent dehydration.
- Snack replace calories burned through exercise.
- Fluids replace electrolytes and fluids lost through sweat.
- Consuming carbohydrates and protein after exercise starts the recovery process so your athlete is ready for the next session.
When I’m packing snacks for on-the-go I like to focus on foods that provide good nutrients, but are also convenient and maybe even pre-packaged to make travel easier. Yes, a dietitian telling you that everything doesn’t have to me homemade! Just get the right fluids and calories in the kids even if you take an occasional shortcut.
When it comes to hydration, kids don’t always think to keep hydrated. That’s why it’s important to supply flavorful beverages that kids will enjoy. I am a huge fan of BODYARMOR. It comes in 9 great tasting flavors (Blackout Berry is always a huge fan favorite). BODYARMOR has potassium-packed electrolytes, coconut water and vitamins – and has no artificial flavors, sweeteners or colors from artificial sources. Having no colors from artificial sources is HUGE to me. Why do drinks need to be neon blue? Hydration can be clean and simple and efficient and be something you feel good about giving your kids.
I also recommend bringing a cooler to keep the BODYARMOR cool. With summer coming cool drinks will be appreciated and the colder liquid can help promote total body cooling.
Calories from snacks are important to give working muscles energy. Here is a brief rundown of some great on-the-go snacks that provide either carbohydrate for energy, protein for recovery or a combination of both.
- 6-ounce cartons of a variety of fruited yogurt or yogurt in a tube
- Peanut butter or almond butter sandwiches with natural fruit jam
- Turkey and/or cheese wraps cut into 1-inch slices for easy finger food
- Low-fat string cheese and mini pretzels
- A mini cinnamon-raisin bagel with cream cheese or peanut butter
- English muffin sandwich with a slice of lean ham and/or reduced-fat cheese
- Fruit and yogurt smoothies
- Low-fat chocolate mil
- Banana, orange slices or apple slices (dipped in orange juice to prevent browning)
- Whole-grain granola bars
- Applesauce or other 100% fruit pouch
- Cold pasta salad or whole grain pasta and sauce
- Snack mix with dried fruit and nuts or granola
- Baby carrots, celery, grape tomatoes and ranch dressing
- Pretzels and hummus
Mom (or Dad) – We KNOW you are a star. Is it time for your young athlete to shine? Enter them in the Next BODYARMOR Athlete Contest!
The next BODYARMOR athlete contest is focused on finding a young athlete that embodies the character of Team BODYARMOR-driven, determined, dedicated, intense. Parents of contestants must submit a video on why their young athlete deserves to be the next BODYARMOR athlete. The grand prize includes a personal meet and greet with one BODYARMOR athlete, 1 year supply of BODYARMOR, a local sports camp of their choice for the winner and a friend, signed memorabilia from one BODYARMOR athlete and to be on our BODYARMOR creative pieces in-stores.
In addition to the grand prize winner, there will be several other weekly winners who receive a one-month supply of BODYARMOR. The next BODYARMOR Athlete contest starts on 4/28/17 and will run until 7/31/17.
Leave A Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.